Equity & Diversity at UCiM
The United Church in Meadowood continues to be a faith community that lives out its commitment in social justice issues. As an affirming ministry, we continue to light the Rainbow candle every Sunday during our public worship. We welcome all who seek to walk by faith, regardless of age, gender, ability, sexual identity, or social status.
The United Church in Meadowood was the 100th Affirming Congregation in the United Church of Canada. Since 2013, we have been working to create a space that is safe for everyone in the LGBTTQS2+ community. Our Action Plan is:
- Continue to make public that we are an Affirming Ministry on our website, in our newsletter, and in our bulletins.
- Have visible outdoor signs that say we welcome LGBTTQS2+ people
- Observe International Day Against Homophobia (May 17th).
- Participate in Pride Month.
- Have one educational event possibly on a Sunday accompanied with lunch
- Outreach to a GSA group in the community
- Explore the possibility of sending someone to the AFFIRM UNITED AGM.
On September 30, 2021, we celebrated the first National Day for Truth and Reconciliation with a 1 hour program for all ages. About 50 people joined us as we learned more about residential schools and the impacts that they are still having on indigenous people today. We ended the program with bannock and tea and a visit on our patio. We hope to expand this program to a full day event in 2022.